Adams survived - relatively unscathed - the plague of Urban "Renewal" that destroyed so many beautiful and historic buildings in the late 20th century. A few of our architectural gems and historic places are listed on the National Register:
Anthony House -1818
Armory Block - 1894
Built to serve as an armory for the Massachusetts National Guard, a role it fulfilled until new facilities were built in 1914. After it was decommissioned from military use it was converted into commercial and retail space, uses which continue today.
P.J. Barrett Block - circa 1880
The original uses of the building were to provide retail shops on the ground floor and apartment-style housing above, a common feature of buildings of the period. It is still used in those ways today.
Berkshire Mill #1 - 1889
The Berkshire Cotton Manufacturing Company, established in Adams in 1888 by the locally prominent Plunkett family. The business was successful despite a drop in demand for the products of other Adams mills because the Plunketts decided to focus on more fashionable fine cotton fabric. The company grew rapidly between its founding and 1900, when President William McKinley, a friend of the Plunketts, laid the cornerstone for their Number 4 Mill. The building has been coverted to apartments and office space.
Hoosac Street School - 1887
Built in the 1889 when Adams was experiencing rapid population growth due to the success of its manufacturers.
Jones Block - c. 1895
Built during the industrial expansion in Adams to accommodate additional store frontage and housing. It is a simple 3 story brick structure, with curved windows on the second and third levels. Ornamentation was simple for the days standards. The block was built in 1895 for Albert Jones, a clerk in a local clothing retailer. Originally two stories in height, it housed that store on the ground floor, and the local Hibernian Hall on the second floor. The third floor was added in the early 20th century, using matching materials and styling to the original construction, and replicating its original cornice. The styling and placement of the third floor windows suggest that it was also used as a meeting space; it is not known whether Jones had planned for the expansion when the structure was originally built.
Maple Street Cemetery - 1767
The 16 acre cemetery is Adams' oldest, with its earliest burials dating to 1760. It occupies a prominent place in Adams, with nearby Mount Greylock as a backdrop. Although it began as a burying ground for the community's Quakers, its use was broadened in the 19th century, and a major update of its landscape was implemented in in the late 1860s to a design by local civil engineer Charles F. Sayles.
Mausert Block - 1901
Mount Greylock Summit Historic District - 1931
Historic structures on the summit are the Massachusetts Veterans War Memorial Tower, Bascom Lodge, the Thunderbolt Ski Shelter. Because of the cultural significance of the mountain and excellent examples CCC period park structures, the Mount Greylock Summit Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places in on April 20, 1998.
Park Street Firehouse - 1890
Built around 1890, during Adams' industrial boom, to house an engine company of the Adams Fire Department on the ground floor with apartments above.
Phillips Woolen Mill - c. 1850
Benjamin F. Phillips and Peter Blackinton engaged in a long-running series of partnerships, owning and operating mills in Adams. The partnership was dissolved in 1864, and Phillips took over what was known as the Greylock Woolen Mill. His enterprise manufactured "cashmeres, ladies' dress goods, and shawls" in its facilities into the 1930s, although the company went through a variety of transformations, being known at the end as the Adams Woolen Manufacturing Company. Today the building is owned by Mullen Moving and Storage.
Pittsfield & North Adams Passenger Station/Baggage Express House - 1889
These interesting structures were built along the North Adams Branch of the Boston & Albany Railroad. The rail line is now the Ashtuwillticook Rail Trail and the station is now the home of AJs Trailside Pub.
Quaker Meeting House - 1781
QuaAdams Historical Society and open to visitors.kers from Rhode Island were among the earliest settlers in Adams. This building was constructed in classic Quaker style with utter simplicity and lack of ornamentation. It is under the care of the
Simmons Block - 1885
Originally built as the residence of A.H. Simmons, this beautiful example of the Queen Anne style is currently adapted to retail and apartments.
Summer Street Historic District
The Summer Street Historic District is a historic district on Crandall, Center, East, Liberty, Orchard and Summer Streets in Adams, Massachusetts. The district features a variety of Greek Revival, Late Victorian, and Federal style architectural examples.