March 26, 2022
Cure your Cabin Fever!
Celebrate Winter in the Berkshires
Adams has been a center of winter recreation at least since the 1930s when the races down the Thunderbolt Ski Run began to attract top skiers from the United States and Europe. All are welcome to celebrate that tradition at ThunderFest 2022! Okay, we know that this year's date is not officially in the winter! Sorry, but we postponed ThunderFest this year one month in hopes that the COVID-19 settles down in time for people to feel safe at our outdoor festival.
Although details might change, here's an overview of what available for you, your family and your friends:
ThunderFest - Noon to 5
Adams Visitors Center, 3 Hoosac Street, Adams, MA 01220
The Berkshires' biggest and best winter street fest! ThunderFest is held outdoors at the Adams Visitor Center regardless of the weather! That's why people started to say it's "Where the hardy come to party!" Enjoy live music, great food, local beers and wine, family fun, and outdoor recreation and craft vendors. It's a great cure for your late winter cabin fever. Free admission.
- Popular local food vendors include Bounti-Fare's Burrito Revolution, Mama's Place and Lion's Club.
- A wide variety of local craft beers and wines from Berkshire Brewing Co., Wandering Star, Sam Adams, Balderdash Cellars. The Poseiden Coffee Kiosk will be serving their excellent high octane brews as well.
- Please welcome SHYNE to ThunderFest... these dudes rock! They're a powerful multi-genre band covering all your favorites from classic to contemporary rock, pop & country. Prepare to dance to their high-energy show!
- Trevor Wheelock, on keys, vocals and guitar will kick off the music at noon.
- Fun for the kids provided by the Adams Youth Center.
- Free entry into the Thunderbolt Ski Museum.
- Warm up around the toasty campfire!
- Local retail and recreational vendors share their wares, information, and passion for their work.
- Old school social networking!
Ride The Snow Train!
Berkshire Scenic Railway Museum will recreate the Snow Trains that used to run from New York City to Adams in the 1930s and 40s! They'll be offering rides from Adams Station to North Adams and back on a specially decorated trains. Included will be a presentation on the history of the Snow Train phenomenon of that era. The trains will depart at 11, 12, 1 and 2 from Adams Station at 3 Hoosac Street, directly across the street from ThunderFest. Tickets are available in advance at their website. More information on facebook.
Thunderbolt Ski Race
The Thunderbolt Ski Runners are taking a well deserved year off from holding the downhill race down the Thunderbolt from the summit of Mount Greylock. In recent years, only half of the planned races have actually been held due to lack of snow.
"The 'Bolt" - February 26
Instead of the downhill race this year, “The ‘Bolt,” a rando style race held by NE Rando Race Series will be held on the Thunderbolt Ski Trail on Mount Greylock. In short, the very demanding rando format requires that skiers start at Greylock Glen, get to the summit of the tallest mountain in the state under their own power, ski down and repeat TWO MORE TIMES! That adds up to a total of 5,000 vertical feet. Spectators are welcome at Greylock Glen. Race starts around 10 am.
Details for experienced skiers interested in competing in this race are available NE Rando Series website.