February 24, 2018
A Celebration of Winter in the Berkshires
Adams has been a center of winter recreation at least since the 1930s when the races down the Thunderbolt Ski Run began to attract top skiers from the United States and Europe. All are welcome to celebrate that tradition at ThunderFest 2018!
Here's an overview of what available for you, your family and your friends:
The Fest - Noon to 5
The Berkshires' biggest and best winter street fest! ThunderFest is held out of of doors at Adams Visitor Center regardless of the weather! That's why people started to say it's "Where the hardy come to party! It's a great cure for your late winter cabin fever! Free admission.
- Popular local food vendors - details coming soon.
- Cast your vote in the annual Chowder Competition as we welcome several new restaurants to the challenge this year! Starts at 1:30. Only $3. Held inside the Visitor Center, so it's a chance to warm up.
- Wandering Star’s Thunderbolt IPA and Bright Ideas local craft brews will be on tap.
- Balderdash Cellars will be on hand with their local wine.
- Live music from Elizabeth Young & The Restless Hearts. A brand new band formed by some top talent including members of Blackwater along with the awesome Arthur Holmes. The ever popular Tom Corrigan will be the opening act.
- Fun for the kids provided by the Adams Youth Center.
- Free entry into the Thunderbolt Ski Museum.
- Warm up around the toasty campfire!
- Local retail and recreational vendors share their wares, information, and passion for their work.
- Give kudos to the intrepid (and crazy) athletes that just skied up and down Mount Greylock three times at The 'Bolt medal ceremony.
- Old school social networking!
The Snow Train! - 12:30 to 4
Something new for ThunderFest this year is actually something old. Berkshire Scenic Railway Museum is recreating the Snow Trains that used to run from New York City to Adams in the 1930s and 40s! They'll be offering rides from Adams Station to North Adams and back on a specially decorated train at 12:30, 1:30, 2:30 and 4:00. Included will be a presentation on the history of the Snow Train phenomenon of that era. The trains will depart from Adams Station at 3 Hoosac Street, directly across the street from ThunderFest. Tickets not available in advance. More information on facebook.
RACE CANCELED - NO SNOW!
The 'Bolt! - Backcountry Ski Race at Mount Greylock - 10 am to 2 pm
The Thunderbolt Ski Runners are taking a well-deserved break this year from holding the traditional downhill race at Mount Greylock. Instead, TSR is hosting and sanctioning “The ‘Bolt” a rando style race held by NE Rando Race Series. In short, the very demanding rando format requires that skiers start at Greylock Glen, get up to the top of the trail under their own power, ski down and repeat TWO MORE TIMES! That adds up to a total of 5,000 vertical feet. Spectators are welcome at Greylock Glen. Race starts around 10 am.
Details for experienced skiers interested in competing in this race are available NE Rando Series website.
Accommodations in Adams Click Here.